9 May 2011

You live and learn and think damn it...

It's unavoidable to learn new things whilst exploring this kind of intolerance diet that I am currently doing. Right now I am learning things about soy and I don't like what I'm learning.

I am surrounded by veritable hunks, which certainly has it's advantages. Several of these well trained men have told me they believe soy affects their strength and energy. As this is guys who spend several hours a week amongst the free weights down the gym, suddenly realise they haven't got the strength is rather upsetting.

We have all read about how healthy soy is, how the phyto-estrogens in soy can prevent breast cancer and menopause symptoms, how soy is deemed one of the healthiest foods in the world. Soya reduces the risk for osteoporosis, lowers the cholesterol levels and has high levels of omega 3 and 6. But more and more articles are cropping up saying it might not be as good for us as we think. The other side of the coin is that soy can reduce our uptake of important minerals such as zinc and magnesium. And soy has been known to cause food intolerances and allergies. However, what I discovered, firstly by my own symptoms and later by reading up on the subject is that soy can dampen the thryoid function in some people. The thyroid controls your metabolism and helps regulate your nervous system. This is the point when I think damn it...
You see, I cut soy out of my diet and at first I was really impressed as I had energy for the first time in years. What a feeling to be able to go to bed at half past eleven at night and still wake up, rested, early the next morning! I have missed this and been feeling abnormal as I've always been tired and fatigued. But then I started feeling a bit stressed, my weight dropped off and I started having palpitations. Unpleasantly much like the symptoms of hyperthyroidism, i.e. an overactive thyroid. I have had this before so I recognise what is going on. Now, I have just stopped taking any medications, with the thought that even though the amounts are tiny it doesn't help me to eat pills with sucrose and lactose in them, and I don't want to start taking any new medicines. So I started researching thyroid disorders and found this thing about soy. I have been eating soy on a daily basis, in my porridge, in my coffee, in miso soup, as soya cream in food and then I suddenly stopped. My poor thyroid must have had a shock. So perhaps I should re-introduce soya into my diet as fast as I can. But not as much as before. And more tofu, tempeh and miso than overly processed soya milk.
I haven't managed to find a medical article in the subject but have only read what I found through google. It is a firm belief of mine that a lot of what you find on the internet needs to be taken with a large pinch of salt. However, I am prepared to listen to my body and I am prepared to try anything that will keep me off medications. I would encourage everyone to do their own research and if you are interested these are some of the sources I used.

No comments:

Post a Comment