30 Oct 2011

Almond and lemon cake

Ok, ok I admit it, I don't always follow my own strict rules. Seriously, who can live on such an extreme diet anyways? I do it most of the time, and occassionally I allow myself to slip and suffer the consenquences. Today I have been craving marsipan all day, so in the evening, as I was looking at the mountain of washing I didn't want to fold I realised I had to increase my productivity by giving myself a reward to look forward to. This contains sugar, but at least I went for brown sugar, which I have a naive belief is better than white. Well, it's what magazines tell us anyway...

Almond and lemon cake

In bowl 1:
4 egg whites
4 tbsp brown sugar
Whisk until soft peaks form

In bowl 2:
4 egg yolks
2 tbsp brown sugar
zest of 1 lemon
Whisk together, then add:
1 1/2 cup of ground almonds
1 tbsp lemon juice

The almon mixture should be very dry and crumbly.
Add the egg whites with a spatula a bit at a time.

Pour into a greased and floured sandwich dish (I used coconut oil and ground almonds)
Bake in 190 degrees for 35 minutes.

Now, the idea is that I am supposed to fold and put away the washing whilst it cooks, so guess I have to tear myself away from the computer...

No comments:

Post a Comment