5 Feb 2012

Orange, honey and almond cake

I came across a recipe for an almond and lemon cake once. The recipe was very simple and I wanted to see if it could be altered. For example, I thought a sugar free version with honey would go well with orange. I then proceeded to experiment…

You will need:
2 bowls
Sandwich tin with removable sides

3 eggs
1 orange
8 tbsp honey
1 ½ cup ground almonds
1 tbsp oil

Oil the sandwich tin and dust lightly with some ground almonds
Separate the egg whites and yolks and put them in one bowl each.
Grate the zest and squeeze the juice from the orange.

Whisk the egg whites until forming white peaks.
In the second bowl combine egg yolks, orange peel, 4 tbsp of orange juice, the honey and the almond flour. Whisk until combined. (Yes, you will end up with leftover orange juice. Just drink it!)

Using a spatula fold the egg whites into the almond mixture until just combined. Pour into sandwich tin and bake in 180 degrees for 40 minutes.

OK, verdict. I was right in that orange and honey is a fantastic combination. I think the honey is a touch overpowering though and may use less next time and maybe a bit of agave nectar instead. Still, it’s very tasty and I don’t expect it to last very long. Especially as it’s been hours since the tolerant one was fed and dinner is at least an hour away. Yep, he’s already downstairs cutting himself a second piece. (Curses! I thought my ninja-like skills would mean she didn't notice me doing that. It really works and the level of honey is just fine, leave it alone woman! - Tolerant)

And if you want to try the original recipe, I posted it a while ago here

No comments:

Post a Comment