27 Jul 2011

Budgie of the beast


It was our third wedding anniversary yesterday and we wanted a nice dinner. The tolerant one always says as long as I keep feeding him he keeps following me home. And we know I always have to cook from scratch so I guess I'm stuck with him.

[See - that's love for you. That's why I've stayed with her all this time. It's not the cooking, it's more the way she makes out I'm only with her for the food and then tells everyone on the internet. Tolerant]

Roast chicken is one of my favourite meals. It's so simple and you can do lots of stuff from the leftovers. The trick to the perefct cooked chicken is as follows:

Oven heated to 190 degrees.
Cook chicken for 20 minutes per 450 grams, plus 20 minutes
Turn the chicken over twice during the cooking,

So for my 1.666kg chicken I cooked it for 100 minutes, started with breast side up, turned it over after roughly 33 minutes and then again roughly 33 minutres later.

You can season the chicken with pretty much anything, just don't add salt until it's been cooked. Yesterday I mixed olive oil with low-salt stock powder, white pepper, hot paprika powder and chopped sage. I rubbed this all over the chicken, put a few garlic cloves inside and added some water to the bottom of the cooking tray, hence gravy happened automatically.

It was served with sweet potato and carrot mash, and lightly cooked string beans. Perfect for a celebratory dinner. And now I'm going to go and make a stir fry from the leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment