18 Jul 2011

Pork in orange and coconut

When I was 19 my mum presented me with a book in which she'd written out lots of lovely recipes for food, some of the accompanied with little anecdotes such as "this is pretty much what I lived on during my first time as an adult" next to the recipe for eggfried spaghetti. But not all of them are as basic as that and in there are gems such as my great grandmothers beef stew, our family's favourite herring pickling recipe and the ultimate sweet and sour sauce.

I was looking through this yesterday wanting inspiration for this week's menu planning and saw a recipe that looked ripe for intolerance adjustment.

So I cooked this.
3 pork sizzling steaks cut into thin strips (these are pretty much pork cutlets with all the fat removed)
1 leek cut into thin slizes
1 green pepper cut into thin slizes
50 ml orange juice
1/2 packet of leftover coconut milk
stock (yeast, soya and sugar f ree)
salt and pepper

In a large pan, fry pork until browned. Pour in a bit of water to deglaze a bit, and add the other ingredients. Leave to boil for five minutes.

Served with quinoa.

 

Should I be surprised that it tastes really good?

No comments:

Post a Comment