7 Apr 2011

Gluten free quiche made with cashew milk

I found a recipe for gluten free pastry made with mashed potatoes.
125g gluten free flour mix
1 tsp baking powder
50g margarine
1-2 tsp salt
125g cold mashed potatoes

This can be mixed in the food processor, or use your fingers to rub the flour into the margarine and then add masked potatoes , baking powder and salt
Now, I have to admit that I had quite a lot of leftover mashed potatoes and no idea how much it all weighed so I dumped it in the food processor, and added as much flour as looked "adequate". I also wasn't using margarine but melted coconut oil and added several spoonfuls. Wow, technical!
I pressed the pastry out in a big sandwich tray and prebaked in 175 degrees for 10 minutes. Afterwards I filled it with fried onion, pepper, minced meat, seasoning and fresh herbs. I then mixed four eggs with c. 100ml cashew nut milk, salt and pepper and poured over everything. Then back into the oven until the quiche had solidified.
The pastry is both crunchier and more compact than normal pastry would be but to my great delight it became very thin and, most importantly, it tasted divine. I also think the egg and cashew nut milk mix turned out brilliantly. Whenever I have made quiche using soyamilk it has separated, which I feel is so sad.

And now that I have had cold left-over quiche for lunch I can testify that it works like that too. Raw vegetables and hommous were perfect sides too.
Tova

No comments:

Post a Comment