7 Apr 2011

Nut milk

I have heard it's possible to make your own nut milks so I googled some. Found this site and these recipes looked best. I have decided to test the following.

1 cup cashew nuts, soaked over night (or almonds, or any other nut)
3 cups filtered water
1 tbsp honey (or 2-3 dates)
1 tsp salt (not obligatory)

You can sieve it through a cheese cloth if you wish, and use what's sieved out in baking, or mix with oil and have as a spread. I find with cashew nuts it's not necessary but with almond milk it is.
I got a whole litre of cashew nut milk! I added two medjool dates and didn't bother sieving it, thought it worked anyway. I was surprised the milk didn't taste sweet at all. OI put half the milk in the fridge to use in cooking and sweetened the rest with a bit of agave nectar and brought to work.

It's really creamy and tastes amazing!

When I came home from work I used the cashew nut milk for a wonderful gluten free and lactose free quiche. Recipe to follow, I promise.

Tova

No comments:

Post a Comment